Thursday, October 7, 2010

Recycled Art

As I was preparing to teach at this year's Regional Teacher Institute, I was doing a lot of research online and found so much out there on Recycled Art. A little light bulb went off at that point and I realized how amazing this would be for my high school students. They have spent the last two days researching, brainstorming, creating lists, planning on materials, and all kinds of great things for one project. This one is making them think and I am so ok with that! I have found that even my mentor students, who are not in the class themselves, have volunteered time from their lunch period to collect plastic bottles for a project. A project that originally was one I was going to do, but now they have decided they would like to work on it during homeroom. Works for me. The one huge thing that is coming from this project is challenge. I have not given the students one project, with a lap full of materials, told them what I expect, and they begin. Instead I have opened a new door to them. They have ownership and expectations of their own for this one, and I look forward to seeing the results. I will make sure to post them here!

No comments: